Sunday, May 24, 2009

Jacira - Work in Progress

Jacira - WIP
Been working on this portrait again today. Much better this time. Had some problems though. Was working on it outside, and my muddy dog actually STOOD ON IT!!! I shrieked! I tried to rub off the mud, even began damaging the paper, but no, couldn't get the mud off. So I began again. But nothing I drew could approach this one. So I went back to it and decided that most of the damage would be covered by Jacira's jet-black hair so I would let it go. Still, there is some raw/rough paper where I rubbed too hard, and the texture of my color changes there. Bummer.

Jacira - WIP
My 'real' camera is in repair and the iphone never keeps the proportions right. This does actually look better in person. There is still some tweaking to do for sure though. And obviously I have to finish the rest of the piece. But I am mostly happy with it. Obviously it's not her face precisely, but if I don't show my hand and my interpretation than what's the point of doing the drawing? If you want true photo-realism without flaws, hang up the photo. 




[EDIT - 5:40pm]
Finished?
Jacira - finished?
Still needs some tweaks. I think I will sleep on this and see how it hits me in the morning. Not set on the background either.

3 comments:

Monica said...

Nice work Elisabeth, well sketched portrait and beautifully colored, I love it!!

Angela said...

Hi Elisabeth, speaking as someone who knows Jacira and has actually seen the photo that you drew this from, I have to admit to being pretty impressed. You've captured her perfectly, from her eyes to her smile. It's beautiful. Great work.

Elisabeth said...

Wow thank you both!
Angela, just making sure... This is the work in progress. You saw the post with the finished piece too, right? It's not a good shot of it, I have to get it professionally scanned because I goofed and made a drawing larger than my scanner. :)